Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SPORT MOD CLASS!!!

1. Default SPORT MOD CLASS!!!

Great idea! This class is perfect to get a big car count. Give a year and if it works out my daughter maybe moving from karts and into this class. Keep up the good work!

Default sport mod/hot mod

if they would change engine rule do away vacuum rule use engine compression they would get more car we race tyler co. tsma rule
    class works good for them. 20 car count most nites racing is good.
    all you need is a tech man that can read

there will be close to 25-30 cars in the class this year.no need to change engine rules,vacuum rule eliminates alot of issues,besides that you can use any old mod chassis whether its a leaf or 4 link and not have change anything compared to only able to run oem 4 leaf or 3 link.you can build a car at these rulesfar cheaper than a hotmod...compression rule motor theres to many factors and can cost alot more money.you can build an motor with 275lbs.compression and use the cam, cam timing and get that number to what you want it to be.to many variables in the mix,lash as a huge impact along with others.

Vaccuum rule is a joke as well. You speak to any good cam dealer and they laugh at that rule now. I dealt with this rule at Tyler when I ran pure stocks. We talked to a certain dealer and he laughed when we told him we had a vaccuum rule. Our hotmod rules at Tyler definately make it cheaper to build a motor if you compare them to yours. As well as any limited class this is all kept in check by a good tech who knows what they are looking for.

5. Default

thats the key a GOOD AND HONEST TECH MAN.

theres pros and cons to both sets of rules,..agree tech man has to do his job or it wont work..in my area southern is the closer track for me so im building to there rules,my car would be legal at both places if it wherent for the rear suspension rule different..would be giving up some hp but i would still have fun...

Rear suspension rule is a key part of the Hot Mod rules (along with hard tires, limited engines & 2 bbl carbs) to keep these cars affordable. 4 link cars encourage bigger h.p. and have more and expensive parts. A racer can find a used 4 link mod and pretty easily convert it to a legal 3 link (or leaf rear) suspension. It's an economics thing.

The vacuum rule is the most easily cheated one in limited class racing. If you investigate, you'll find that sanctions don't rely on it for that very reason. Everything from windshield pumps, rpms and cams all make it a pretty useless rule to maintain economical racing.

The Hot Mods are literally exploding in numbers this off season, and I hope the SOS Sport Mods grow as well.

im not knocking the hotmods dont take it that way,i was wanting to build a hotmod last year but just couldnt justify a 2.5 hour pull.now that southern has started this class its 1 hour pull for me.i hope both classes grow and commend the people who are giving the classes a chance...im not above aking the top bars off my cages and coming down and running with yall every now and then.....

If you are wanting a TRULY introductory level class that will eventually feed your top tier classes with new talent the cars should be similar to that of those top tier classes. Having an adjustable four link rear suspension with all steel components, non-adjustable shocks and the like has minimal additional costs over a 3 link/ lead spring car. Additionally this prepares a driver for to move into classes where this type of suspension is the norm. Plus as has already been stated these parts can be purchased second hand from open mod guys and still have plenty of life left in them especially in a limited horsepower application like a sport mod.

As far as the engine rule(s) go one is no better than the other. No one likes engine rules more than engine builders because they have the knowledge to circumvent/ maximize the potential in virtually any engine rule. With that said engine claiming should not only be permitted but should be encouraged in order to keep the costs in check.

Default Entry level

I don't agree with the entry level cars being a 4 link. I believe an entry level class should be at most a solid 3 link with a 9 inch floater with shocks and springs in the stock location on the rear end. I believe when younger and unexperienced drivers first get into racing they should learn how to drive with as little as adjustment as possible. First study up on scaling, proper shocks and springs and setting up the front end geometry. Second they should definately be on a hard tire to help keep costs of tires down whether it's dot or American racer g-60. Third, a very limited motor, although I agree motor builders have their field day with these rules but a good tech can keep that somewhat under control. They should learn how to drive and feel what changes do to a car before they get into these exotic 4 link suspensions. You have to crawl before you walk. Just my opinion. I have a young son coming up through now and I want him to learn the basics which will better help him along with the exotic stuff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast